We have finished our third IB unit. Here are some of the things we have learned based off of our three lines of inquiry.
Scientists communicate information through expository text.
- scientists use scientific language.
- expository text is non-fiction
- scientists write down their new information in science notebooks/ journals
- Scientists use real information and real facts
- They can put their information in brochures, banners, tv commercials/ shows, magazines
Authors communicate ideas through the use of expressive language.
- They sometimes write books, plays, or poems
- To express themselves they use similes, adjectives, alliteration, rhyming, and repetition
- Authors can use snail mail to communicate their ideas
- Authors can use skype to communicate
- Authors can use imagery (adjectives, similes)
- You can express yourself through free verse poetry- poetry that has no rules
- You can express yourself through humorous poetry- poetry that is funny
- You can express yourself through narrative poetry- poetry that tells a story
- You can express yourself through lyrical poetry- poetry that expresses the feelings of the author and is usually in a song- Taylor Swift
Information sharing evolves over time.
We learned that...
- We went from oral communication, snail mail, rotary phones, to email, to cell phones, and facebook
- Skype and facebook are called social networks or social media
We studied alliteration. Here are some examples we made as a class:
Darrion- Dinosaurs are dizzy from dancing.
Adam- Chuck chucked a Chucky Cheese medal out the window.
Jayden- Exciting Elizabeth eats eggrolls.
Wesley- Mr. Apple eats applesauce nightly.
Halle- Marley ate a macadamia nut and some marbles.
Adrian- Awkward antelopes ate my ancestors.
Abby- Chuck the chunk chimp ate chocolate, chicken, and cheez its.
Brandon- Sharp shaped shark teeth shock me.
Maddie- Sloppy Sally slobbers on her salad.
Karan- Batman battles the big Bain.
Paloma- Harry hopped he was happy on his birthday.
Emily F- Victor was very vicious to Velma and her friend Victoria.
Emily HT- Elephants eat lots of eggs.
Miguel- Lilly the lion loved lollipops.
BLOG BONUS!! Post or write an alliteration sentence about something you do this weekend! Make sure it makes sense!!